Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply for a Brucebo scholarship?
-Brucebo Scholarships are awarded to emerging Canadian artists that have studied Fine Arts within the last ten years. Self-taught artists with less than ten years of exhibition experience may also apply.
– Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen, but may be currently living abroad.
Do I need to be a student to apply for a scholarship?
Can artists working in any medium apply for the summer residency?
– Yes. Traditionally the residency was given to painters but it is now open to artists working in all types of media.
Can I apply in French?
– Yes, applications and documents can be written in English or French.
How competitive is the application process?
– We receive approximately 100 applications for two scholarships. Scholarship winners are typically mature emerging artists. Please see the “past recipients” page and their works for reference.
Can I apply for both the summer residency and the travel scholarship?
– Yes but you must pay for each application submitted (2x $25)
Why are there application fees?
– Application fees are used to pay jurors, maintain the website and cover other promotion costs.
Do I need a Paypal account to pay the submission fee?
– No, you can also use a credit card when paying with Paypal.
Is the application deadline a postmarked deadline?
– Since we accept applications by email, the deadline is at midnight EST on January 31st of each year.
How are the applications evaluated?
– A jury composed of past Brucebo scholarship recipients and contemporary art professionals evaluate the applications.
Would I be able to bring my family and friends on a Brucebo residency?
– You may have your family or friends accompany you for a limited time during your stay in Gotland. The cottage is equipped with two single beds. Please contact the Brucebo foundation for more information about hosting guests.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that email responses may take time. The account is generally not active from April to November of each year. We are happy to respond to inquiries during the months of the scholarship application call, November – January.